You are hereHome ›
IMechE Business Skills
IMechE Business Skills
Why attend this course:
This programme is designed to provide developing engineers with a broad range of business skills to improve the impact they have in their organisation in order to drive their career.
You will be exposed to a wide range of topics including project management, business finance, time management, understanding their customers and the professional responsibilities of an engineer. The aim is to provide you with an overview of a number of different tools within a 2-day course, allowing better understanding and interaction with other areas of the business, making you more effective.
After the course you will be able to:
- Articulate how engineering fits into the organisation structure along with the key deliverables.
- Understand the responsibilities of a professional engineer
- Understand project management principles. How to set up and plan a successful project, utilising milestones, resource limitations and work load planning.
- Focus on what your personal „customer‟ needs. Identify who are the various customers of your work and establish what it is they need from you.
- Manage your time more effectively through better priority setting.
- Understand the basics of finance – budgeting and cost control
- Use the appropriate communication medium to get your message over
Topics covered include:
- Corporate structure and interaction – how the different departments fit together and interface.
- The „Internal‟ Customer – how we all have customers who need the output of our work and how to find out and satisfy their needs for professional success.
- Basic business finance – how companies are financed; how to set and manage a budget; taking responsibility for minimising expenditure throughout the business.
- Time management principles – identifying and prioritising important tasks over Urgent tasks.
- Project Management principles, task scheduling, resource allocation.
- The role of the engineer in society – duties, responsibilities and professional conduct.
Who should attend:
Engineers, heading for Chartered or Incorporated status, who have graduated in the last few years, either through a Graduate Program or who have gone directly into a post of technical responsibility.
Mapped against UK-SPEC Competencies
This course has been mapped to the Engineering Council's UK-SPEC. Attendance at this course may contribute to your portfolio of competence to demonstrate Initial Professional Development (IPD): a key component of the requirement for registration as a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer. It has been mapped against competencies: C, D & E
By the end of this workshop delegates will:
- Have an understanding of how businesses are funded and developed a business model
- Have considered who owns the company they work for
- Know how the 3 key financial statements are constructed
- Have an understanding of different ways of setting budgets
- Know the basic principles of project management
- Know how to set up and manage a project using Critical Path Analysis and Gantt Charts.
- Have an overview of analysing risk
- Have considered their company structure and the role of Engineering.
- Understand the needs of their internal customers
- Have developed tools for handling workload more effectively
- Know the pro‟s and con‟s of different communication tools
- Know the Engineering professional Code of Conduct
- Know how to manage the appraisal process and take charge of their career
- Have an opportunity to develop their personal development plan
Session 1 Aims and Objectives
Session 2 What do you know about your Company?
Session 3 The Business Model
Session 4 Financial Statements
Session 5 Plans and Budgets
Session 6 Project Management Principles
Session 7 Risk Analysis
Session 8 Corporate Structure
Session 9 Communication
Session 10 Time Management
Session 11 Professional Conduct
Session 12 The Appraisal Process
Session 13 Career Management
Session 11 What Next?
- About the NCC
- Funding Opportunities
- Automated Fibre Placement
- Composite Introduction and Awareness Courses
- General Training
- Prepreg Training
- Resin Transfer Moulding / Resin Infusion Training
- Job Opportunities
- Contact Us
- Log In